Since 2016, Cleanfarms has been collecting materials directly from certain high-acreage farms across Canada.
As part of our mission to provide convenient and efficient recycling programs to Canadian farmers, we are now extending the offer to pick up ag plastics for recycling from high-volume growers/businesses across Western Canada. Best of all, this service is available to growers that meet volume requirements free of charge.
To be eligible for this service, growers/businesses must have (or be willing to accumulate) a minimum quantity of eligible Cleanfarms material set out below.
What‘s In? What’s Out?
|What’s In||What’s Out|
Minimum Volume Requirements
Crop input packaging – a half truckload (HTL)
Non-Deposit Bulk Containers
- 26 x 1,000L totes, or
- 34 x 450L totes, or
- 104 x 200L drums, or
- HTL combination of drums & totes.
Bags of Pesticide & Fertilizer Jugs
- 30 full collection bags of jugs
Combination of the above
- 10 x 1,000L totes + 17 x 450L totes + 12 x 450L totes + 10 full collection bags of jugs
Commitments & Considerations
The farm/business will ensure that the material is prepared properly. For more info on material preparation, please click through to the program page for:
- Containers up to 23L
- Totes and drums
- Bags and large tote bags
- Grain bags (Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba)
- Twine (Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba)
Once prepared, ensure that material(s) is (are) easily accessible, free from obstruction, and on a solid/flat surface. The material(s) must be located at one central location on the farm/business for pickup.
Submit a pickup request to Cleanfarms with the address location, quantity of materials, and photographs of the material(s). For more information, see “Getting Started” on this page.
On the day of material pickup, ensure that someone at the farm/business location is available to provide loading assistance to the driver. This may include manually loading material such as drums and/or bags of material, or the use of farm equipment with fork for caged totes.
Cleanfarms Collection Contractor Commitment
- Provide a pickup date in advance of arriving on-farm
- Only pick up properly prepared and secured material
Both Parties Commitment
- Ensure that all actions will contribute to maintaining health, safety & environmental care
- On-farm/business pickup will be offered free of charge to the grower/business if the minimum volume requirements are met and the material is able to be efficiently collected by the Contractor.
- Penalties may apply if the collection contractor arrives on site and the material is inaccessible, the loads do not meet the HTL/PTL requirement or are not appropriately prepared for collection. Penalties will be in line with the direct costs associated with the transportation to and from the farm/business location and the hourly rate of the collection contractor.
If this is of interest to you, please fill out our survey.
Cleanfarms staff will reach out by phone or email. Staff will also request GPS coordinates of the site, photos of the material, and written consent that you agree to the above requirements.
For more information, please email email@example.com or call 1-877-622-4460.