Cleanfarms can help you meet your obligations
First Sellers, businesses that sell or import grain bags into Saskatchewan, can meet their obligations under the regulations in two ways. First Sellers can:
- operate their own government approved program, or
- enter into an agreement with an organization like Cleanfarms that has developed an approved program to meet the requirements of the regulation.
Meeting your obligations by joining Cleanfarms is the most efficient way to meet these regulatory requirements.
- Are you a First Seller? – Review the FAQs on the right hand side.
- I’m a First Seller. What’s next? – Call us at 877-622-4460 ext. 2229.
First sellers that wish to meet their obligations through Cleanfarms must register and adhere to financial and administrative obligations. Please see our membership agreement.
How Cleanfarms’ Government-Approved Program Works
Cleanfarms operates the government-approved recycling program on behalf of first sellers.
- First Sellers must register with Cleanfarms to become a member and are required to finance the program costs.
- Similar to programs for electronics or oil, this program is funded by a non-refundable Environmental Handling Fee (EHF) which is $0.25/kilogram.
- The EHF is applied as a visible fee at the Point of Purchase starting November 1, 2018.
- First Sellers must add this EHF to grain bag purchases and remit the EHF to Cleanfarms.
Environmental Handling Fee (EHF)
The non-refundable EHF finances this recycling program.
To calculate the EHF, Cleanfarms has taken the total program costs and divided this by the estimated volume of grain bags sold into Saskatchewan. The EHF is therefore determined on a per kilogram basis and is $0.25 per kilogram. The EHF is subject to GST, but not PST.
Grain bags are sold in various sizes and weights. It is applied to each size category (e.g. 9 x 200) based on the average weight of the bags in that size category as shown below and in the printable fee schedule.